2012-05-17

Fuel Up


I toil, struggling with all [Christ's] energy that he powerfully works within me. (Colossians 1:29)
            I turned 31 last week, and if there's anything that seems to wane as the years (and children) are added to my life, it's energy.  Paul wasn't a lazy man, for we read that he "toiled," but we should not assume that Paul's toil led to frustration or burn-out, for we read that he had Christ's Divine energy powerfully working in him. 
            Where is your energy level these days?  Are you tired? Discouraged? First, find out what Christ wants you to do (for nothing else will give you life). Then, implore him to fill you with his energy. A branch doesn't need to exert itself in order to bear fruit.  No, a branch bears fruit merely because of its connection to the vine. Jesus is telling you today, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me." Without a close walk with Jesus, you will be out of energy before you even start.
            My family and I visited my parents recently and stayed in their new camper. It was a very nice camper, but it sure got cold at night! I'm usually pretty handy with mechanical things, but no amount of tinkering could make the heat turn on. I checked the pilot light. I read the manual and searched the trouble shooting section intensively.  I called the RV company who sold my parents the camper. I searched the internet for how to start the heat and read numerous forums on the topic. I checked the gas lines, inspected the oven, restarted the thermostat, and even turned the propane tanks off and on again. But no matter what I did, I couldn't get the heat to turn on.  Finally, after I had all but given up, I disconnected the propane tank, all to discover that it was empty!!  That's right, I had spent hours racking my brain and tapping every bit of mechanical knowledge I had trying to get the heat to turn on, and all the while, all I needed was a little fuel.
            Sometimes I think we do this with God. We drag our feet, drained and discouraged, low on energy and motivation. So we read self-help books, try a new diet, search the internet to find some solution that will lead us to that elusive spiritual high for which we long.  But all the while, Christ is waiting patiently at the door of our hearts, eager and willing to enter in and fill us with his energy. Ezekiel 7:26 says of the Israelites, "They seek a vision from the prophet, while the law perishes..."  You see, we want some magic fix for our problems, but the only real solutions - God's Word and presence - are there with us whenever we need them. 
            Have you been cold lately? Have you been lacking heat and warmth in your heart?  Perhaps you need to check your spiritual tank and make sure you have fuel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home